Wandering in the Vibrant City... Kolkata... Day 1


Day 1











This time we were heading to Kolkata for a wedding reception. So we thought of squeezing in some sightseeing. Here goes my feel of this trip...




Usually my  flight route to any place I visit is via Mumbai... But this time it was a Bengaluru transit… Though I visit Bengaluru often it is either during daytime or by road.... 

The flight schedule of arrival at dusk and take off later on, held a surprise for us.  

Expecting to see the display of lights... I was pleasantly surprised to see it just in pockets... How green is Namma Bengaluru! 
Bengaluru, the garden city, still has canopies of trees though not to the extent of earlier times...It made me feel exactly like the lines from a Bollywood song Ho gaya ke dil garden garden ho gayaThough we see it on road...never visualized the extent of the green cover as visible in a birds eye view…

                                          



                                                 ~~~ oOo ~~~




When we landed in Kolkata we saw a contrasting picture... It was brightly lit like the rows and rows of glowing diyas (lamps) during Deepavali... The entire city is brightly decked up... Sodium vapour lamps, Halogen lamps and LED lights in addition to the various glowing lights emanating from the traffic. 


The lights from traffic were like a steady flow of golden lights interspersed with white and red. The traffic signals too contribute their colours to the already multicoloured hues. Our plane started its descent from about 250 kms away from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Airport, the Kolkata airport,  making a huge area visible to our delight. Though the surroundings are well lit... Kolkata city takes the cake... It was a feast to our eyes. It reminded me a piece of poetry from  Rabindranath Tagore’s Geethanjali collection…


"Amidst your numberless stars
let me place my own little lamp.

In the dance of your festival lights
my heart will throb and my life
will be one with your smile…"




I was surprised to see the sort of brightness which one associates with night time say at Shinjuku in Tokyo… That, there is due to the huge number of neon hoardings lit along the street. 


While driving into the city, we could see these bright lights illuminating entire length of the street on either sides. We came to know that it was the brainchild of Didi (Mamta Banerjee), an off shoot of the Diwali celebratory lights. What made this lighting spectacular was, in addition to the street lights each electric pole is wound with LED strips half in blue and the other half in white...            
 .....colors of Mother Teresa's robes.... 

It looked as though the city was all decked up, living up to the state tourism tagline... Beautiful Bengal… After seeing the scale of lighting at night, as it was clearly a recent addition, I had thought...  not bad, Didi had solar  powered them... Come daylight, I realized… My thoughts were just my thoughts only, not the reality... 


It made me wonder… Be it solar powered or otherwise… will these lights not raise the temperature in the city substantially? 



                                                                ~~~ oOo ~~~



Dear Readers, 

Welcome to the next edition of my travelogue ... Thank you so much for your wonderful support. Quite a few of you have expressed your views personally. I would cherish if you all would be kind enough to put it here in the comment section...  Thank you once again and hope you enjoy going through this edition too... 








                                                





Credit to the cover picture goes to the original uploader...

Comments

Popular Posts