A tale of sparkling bangles







My fascination with the bangles came about while I was a child, from the sounds I heard in the house when the ladies are at work... We kids used to identify who was working where just by the tinkling sound of the bangles very similar to the footfalls. Each type had a distinct sound and each work had a different rhythm... If there was a broken one in between we could easily recognize it too... I have never seen my grandmothers and my mother without these colourful  circles of light... My paternal grandmother always wore the glass bangles and I would love to peer into her special stock meant exclusively for silk sarees.

         image 2
Well, bangle is the ornament which adorns the arm. They are traditionally a part of the Solah Shringar of Indian brides. It is mandatory for the newly-wed brides and the would-be-brides to wear bangles made of glass, gold or other metals as they signify the long life of the husband. They also signify good fortune and prosperity. They are traditionally considered a significant accessory of the married woman.
image 3

The tradition of wearing bangles in India started way back in ancient times and the figurine of a dancing girl wearing bangles on her left arm,  excavated from Mohenjadaro, is a proof to this...  Bangles were then made from sea shell, copper, bronze, gold, agate....             

 image 4

Even today, women love to wear bangles in various colors and types to enhance their feminine grace and beauty.                        image 5             




In our house, on  the day of Gowri, the first day of the Gowri-Ganesha festival, as a part of the traditional ritual every female member in the household was made to wear the bangles of their choice bought from the bangle seller who would come hawking his ware from house to house.  


He would carry his tinkling luminous wares  strung on threads and held together on his shoulders... 
We girls would be fascinated by their colourful display... the shiny, bright, delicate, rainbow tinted that  glowed like circles of light when the rays of light descended on them... Each time he came, we were eager to see what new type would he be carrying.       image 6
  image 7

On his arrival, a reed mat would be spread in the verandah and each person before getting to choose would make a survey of his ware touching it for the any sharp edges and then for the uneven surfaces and later on for the sheen and the degree of transparency... The bangle seller had enough stuff to cater from the toddlers to the youth to the doyenne to the wizened hands that had seen the time of life... He would make sure everyone was satisfied with their choice... 
                                           image 8

Each of us took turns to sit before him and he would press our hands sideways to determine the size and gauging and choosing the right size he would slip on our choice into our arms with the ease... That was the time I introduced to the application of even number counting  in reality... He would always count in even numbers and if ever we took just one piece  we could get a pat on our wrist...   image 9
Maybe it was his way of telling us the spiritual and symbolic significance of the bangles and this simple ritual... Once we had our bangles resting on our arms we would jiggle it and our glee at the resonating tinkle, twinkle and sheen, would make his tanned face  with askew teeth,  alight with a gratified smile... Each one of us would bow  to him before we rose from the mat... He was a simple man who loved his work and was doing it with utmost love and care and... customer satisfaction was his priority...  Once all of us were done, mother would give him the cash along with some raw rice and fruits in gratitude for his services... Then we would ask him the inevitable question already knowing the answer as to when would he come next... He would predictably say Deepavali and our face would light up like the diyas itself...


In the Indian culture, different coloured bangles traditionally signify different aspirations...  Red signifies energy and prosperity, while Green denotes good luck and fertility... Blue stands for wisdom/tranquility and Purple symbolizes independence...                                  image 10,11


Yellow bangles are meant for happiness, White is for new beginnings and Orange is for success... Silver bangles denotes strength and Gold bangles are the ultimate symbol of fortune and prosperity... And the choice of shades of these colours  is huge...

                                          image 12
Every region has a seperate set of rituals that are associated with bangles. Be it a bride or a pregnant woman, bangles are a part of the rituals carried out on these auspicious occasions. Even  Tamboola has glass bangles as a part of it when given on auspicious occasions like festivals and other functions.


image 13
In South India, gold is considered as  extremely auspicious. In some communities the bride wears green bangles along with the gold ones.


 

        image 14 
In Bengal and Odisha, a new bride wears a conch shell bangle and a red coral bangle which are called shankha and pola...


image 15
In Rajasthan, Gujarat and Jammu and Kashmir, the brides wear Ivory bangles or Chooda....







                      

                       image 16
In Punjab, brides-to-be wear Ivory and Red bangles also called Chooda...





image 17
In Maharashtra, the bridal chooda is quite unique by itself. It is a set of bangles... The odd numbered green glass bangles are joined by solid gold bangles called Patli, along with bangle of the same width as of glass bangles that goes by the name Bilwar and carved kadas called Tode...






Gota are thick solid bangles without any design. They are worn on either side with the other bangles lying between them...


                                     image 18,19




During the pregnancy, women are made to  wear glass bangles as part of seventh month ritual, called seemantha in my part of our country... It is said that the tinkle of bangles provide acoustic stimuli for the baby. It is also said that the waves generated by the tinkling sound soothes the nerves and calms the mind, beneficial to both the mother and the child...  A school of thought says that in earlier times bangles worn by pregnant ladies were quite close fitting and were a means to measure the swelling of wrists if any...  
                                                                     image 20,21
Then there are baby bangles made of stones, gold, silver... Some have black beads in them too.... and  always worn in pairs. Made in sets of two, these cute looking bangles are put on both the hands of the baby. Black beads are amulets meant to safeguard them... protect them...





This fascination of mine has its root in seeing my mother and grand mothers matching their bangles with the sarees they wore when they went out and  during the functions. Along with the gold bangles they had coloured ones in between... Without realizing, it had rubbed on me too... Since childhood I always had a set of bangles on hand ... But during my  years of studies, it used to be a hindrance while drawing as its impressions would be left on the drawing sheet.  As a matter of  convenience without much thought I had given it up. But once, when I visited an aunt of mine, her mother-in-law admonished me for changing my habit...  She was a grand old lady with whom I had a good rapport... She tut tut me for having given up wearing the bangles! Not that I was bare armed but was wearing just a single thick bangle. She told me that it was always lovely to hear the tinkle of bangles...  I acquiesced quietly  not wanting to hurt her feelings over such a trivial matter if it gave her the happiness... Not understanding why she attached so much importance to it I got along without giving it much thought, but... whenever I met her I saw to it that there were bangles in my hand... Much later, I realized why it was important to her. Having lost her husband at an early age she was bound to lots of restrictions of her times.... She must have loved wearing them... I never mustered enough courage to ask her so... But I am glad that I didn't argue with her over that.... 




I never thought that my fascination with these 'lustrous tokens of radiant lives' would lead me to a good collection by the advent of metal bangles. They have a clinking sound, but not as pleasant as glass bangles, a distant cousin but are unbreakable... Now the bangle sellers hawking their wares door to door  are an extinct species... They are replaced by kiosks where both glass and metal bangles are displayed with lights to highlight them...   My favorite haunt is in Mysuru City. To the Devraja  Market , there are two entries from the Sayyaji Rao Road... One of them is an exclusive bangle kiosks zone... The display is fascinating... You name it, you got it... It's a bangle lover's delight... Other haunts are the  Rajasthani  fancy stores where you are bound to get good ones with plenty to choose from.... Wherever I go, if I see a display of bangles, my feet inevitably stops in its stride and takes me to it which predictably has my family roll their eyes and resign to their fate of having to wait... They know even if I don't buy I can't resist a peek at the display... My kids ask me to put  the  blinkers on... I laugh off at their consternation and in response pass the buck with.. Blame it on your grandmother and great-grandmothers...
image 23




What made me write on this topic is...  while I was at the wedding reception in Kolkata, we were in conversation with a few of our young friends, to be precise, grooms batch mates... One of them seeing the bangles I was wearing asked to go in for shanka pola... When I smiled he thought I was putting up with his insistence... He told me that the one, set in gold looks fantastic... When I nudged my husband to listen to what the young man was telling all I could get in response was a roll of his eyes... The young man thought my husband was averse to buying and suggested to insist... I am sure he is going to have a hearty laugh when he reads this... 


Our conversation was my inspiration Pankaj... This is dedicated to you and your family... May you have all that you wish for...



Images 4 - 9, 12, 15, 18 are sourced from the google images. Copyrights are with respective owners.

Images 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20  and 21  are sourced from various e-commerce sites. Copyrights are with respective owners.

Images 1-3, 22, 23  exclusively belong to me.





...Thank you all for being with me... 

...Au Revoir...















Comments

Popular Posts